Fall Apple Crunch
Story Pastry Chef Dominique Perez
Photos: Matt Kocourek
October 2011 KCH&G
Cinnamon ‘n’ Spice Fall Apple Crunch
Chef Dominique Perez, Story
3 T canola oil
⅓ C popcorn kernels
1 three-qt covered saucepan
2 T butter (melted)
1 C sugar
1 T cinnamon
1½ t curry powder
1. Mix cinnamon, curry powder and sugar together and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a 3-quart saucepan on medium high heat.
3. Put 3 or 4 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pan. When the kernels pop, add the rest of the ⅓ C of popcorn kernels in an even layer.
4. Cover. Remove from heat for 30 seconds. Return the pan to heat. The popcorn should begin popping rapidly. When the popping starts, shake the pan back and forth to cook the kernels evenly. When the popcorn slows down, remove the pan from heat and dump the popcorn into a bowl with a lid.
5. Pour the butter over the top then follow with the sugar mixture. Place lid on top and shake all together until popcorn is evenly coated.
4 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples
½ C butter
2 C firmly packed brown sugar
1 C light corn syrup
1 dash salt
1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 t vanilla
1. Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan; add brown sugar, corn syrup and salt.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil (10 to 12 minutes). Stir in sweetened condensed milk. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until small amount of mixture dropped into ice water forms a firm ball or candy thermometer reaches 245°F (20 to 25 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
3. Dip apples in caramel and roll in popcorn crumbles. Place on wax paper. Refrigerate until set. Reserve until ready to serve. These can be made a couple hours ahead of time. Roll in popcorn crumbles and place on wax paper. Refrigerate until set. Reserve until ready to serve. These can be made a couple hours ahead of time.
4. When ready to serve, cut apples into slices and place onto skewers. Brush exposed flesh with a 3-to-1 ratio of water to lemon juice to keep from browning. Place on tray with extra popcorn for guests.